Autumn is upon us and so are those unpleasant dark mornings and crisp nights – those days that we yearn and crave for warm, not-so-nourishing comfort food have reached us.
Curb those autumnal, greasy cravings with this tasty but nutritious spiced Fajitas recipe – it is vegetarian (so it caters for most), quick and easy to make and will satisfy those taste buds without the guilt. The reason we tend to resort to those greasy, fast foods is usually because we don’t have the time or effort to prepare healthier meals. Little did you know that there are plenty of healthy but scrumptious recipes out there that do not take so much time, money or effort. So put on your chef hat and go try out this Mexican delight.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Fresh Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Minced Fresh Ginger
- 3 Crushed Thai Chillis
- 1 large Onion
- 4 Medium or 8 Small Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Sliced Green Pepper
- 1 Sliced Red Pepper
- 1 Sliced Yellow Pepper
- 1 Cup Drained Butter Beans
- Sachet of Fajita Seasoning
- Sour Cream
- 200g Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Wholemeal Tortilla Wraps
- 1 Cup Cooked Soya Chunks (soaked in hot water and drained) Optional
Step by step directions:
- Firstly heat the olive oil in a skillet and fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat until a little golden
- Add ginger, mushrooms and peppers and saute for 5 minutes
- Add chillies and butter beans – sauté and stir until vegetables are tender
- Add the fajita seasoning and cook for another 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile warm the wholemeal tortilla wraps for 5-7 minutes in the oven Gas mark 6 (wrap the tortilla wraps in foil prior to putting them in the oven)
- Remove the mixture from the skillet and reserve
- Place a tortilla wrap on a plate, add some mixture along the centre
- Season with salt and pepper
- Top with some salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheddar cheese
- Wrap up the wrap, repeat the process with the other tortilla wraps and enjoy your fajita! Delicioso!
Make your meal more wholesome by also adding some tofu, soya or quinoa to the mixture? Slice or dice your vegetables or add any other additional ingredients you would like. With most people adopting the vegetarian or vegan diet lately, this is a great recipe to try but meat-lovers will also enjoy it.
Keep up those energy levels, healthy lifestyle and try out healthier, wholesome dishes. Put your culinary skills into action and be inspired.
Words: Jaspreet Thiara
Hashtags: #autumn #cooking #recipe #mexican #fajitas #wholesome #vegetarian #nutritious #savoury #delicious
Image 4: Author’s Own