It’s that time of year again where we all make the promise to ourselves to get fit, and exercise more regularly. If you’re feeling too unmotivated to hit the gym, or you’re nervous about trying a new group exercise class, here are some of our top recommendations of Fitness activities to try.
Trampolining in the past was considered too much fun to be exercise. These days, the perception has changed, and more people than ever before are starting to realise the health and exercise benefits of trampolining. There are huge benefits to this type of exercise:
- Low impact intensity of bones and joints.
- Raises your heart rate – perfect for a cardiovascular workout
- Improve your balance
- Improve your agility
Walking may not feel like exercise, but it’s a really easy and simple activity to keep you healthy. Whether it’s a slow paced walk or a brisk walk, walking is a great form of aerobic exercise. Walking by yourself can feel mundane, so why not try walking somewhere with a friend, or going on a hike with a group of people. Walking on a gradient is even better for you than walking on an even surface – the steeper the gradient, the more energy you exert, and the more calories you burn! Before embarking on a big walk, make sure you:
- Wear the correct footwear (running/ walking trainers)
- Wear workout clothes appropriate for the weather conditions.
- Are hydrated and have eaten something before you exercise. Take a bottle of water with you on your walk, and perhaps some music for extra motivation!
- Do some stretches, as your body needs to be prepared and warmed up before any form of physical activity.
Bikram yoga is essentially yoga moves performed in hot temperatures! It’s a good way to relieve stress, detoxify, and tone up. A typical Bikram class is 90 minutes long, so make sure you bring a towel and lots of water. This type of exercise can be ideal for someone who suffers from any sort of muscular pain, as the heat helps you to perform stretches and moves without any discomfort. There are several Bikram studios across London that you can attend with varying types of classes. Bikram yoga can help with the following:
- Weight Loss
- Back Pain
- Stress & Anxiety
- Mood Stability
Skipping is not only fun, but also another great exercise to try this year. Skipping is a great form of aerobic and cardiovascular exercise. It’s ideal for improving cardiovascular fitness and endurance, leg strength, balance and stamina. Here are some more great reasons to skip:
- Improves flexibility
- Improves heart rate and blood pressure
- Skipping is less detrimental to your joints than running.
- Improves bone strength
Words: Lucy Oben-Pepra
Hashtags: #fitness #exercise #fitness2017 #exercising #health #fitnessfanatic #healthtips #fitnessfocused #exercise2017